Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

OB-GYN Day 6

Well today I am on vaginal deliveries on the labor and delivery unit. I'm used to being so busy on L&D, but today it's just slow. I don't even mind if I jinx myself by saying that, I would much rather run around like mad than sit around waiting for something interesting to pop up! I'm currently following three women, one of which is carrying twins. I would love to be there for that delivery! I still have a few hours left to work so I might luck out yet.

I'm starting to crave more freedom and independence at the hospital. My history and physicals have been spot on, I do thorough and accurate exams, and my assessment and plans have been similar to the attendings... My progress notes are detailed yet succinct, and my patients don't seem to mind the fact that I check in with them every hour, so all I want to work on is my independence and ability to manage patients. Obviously I'm not asking to be writing proper orders, but to be able to provide the note for the attending to sign seems like an appropriate thing to do at this point in my career, just to feel like I'm contributing to the patient care rather than only selfishly assisting my own education. I guess feeling like this means that I'm starting to feel confident and comfortable with the clinical side of the medical world, so it's not all bad!!!
I had a fantastic birthday. I hope to fill you in on the details later on today! I can't believe I'm really 25... When did I become an old lady?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment