Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday/Peds: Day 20

Just a short day today, only in for the morning clinic. Funny thing one patient said...I asked how her son's appetite has been since he starting feeling sick, and she said "It's good, he's drinking more maybe, but none of that apple juice stuff, I watched Dr. Oz, I know they put arsenic in there, and my son ain't having none of that rat poison!". Woah. Totally did not want to open that can of worms. I also asked her if she could describe what her son's cough has been sounding like, and she just stared at me like I asked her the most ridiculous question of all time. So I further explained how different illnesses present with different sounding coughs, and I proceeded to ask her specifics: does it sound productive? does it sound wet? does it sound dry? does it sound barky? does he sound wheezy? and she continued to stare at me blankly before finally saying "it's a cough. A cough's a cough, it's just a cough!" Thank you for that clarification...I basically ended up gathering everything I needed to know to make a diagnosis based purely on physical exam. I don't really like parents as historians, but this woman really was something special.

And my last patient of the day was a seriously annoying 5 year old. Trying to listen to her heart and lungs, she wouldn't stop talking or making noises. Then she kept taking my pen from my pocket, grabbing at my name badge, and attempting to steal my stethoscope. I have no patience for those kids. It's cute when a 3 year old steals my pens (and then puts them back when asked), but a 5 year old who should know better but does annoying things anyway just is so frustrating. Ew and she was all covered in cold, too. Yuck.

2 days left. yay!!!

Tasty Tuesday:
One of my most favorite foods is zucchini. I adore it, especially when it's fresh from the garden. It's so versatile, you can steam it, fry it, bake it, add it to dishes, make a casserole out of it, add it to cookies, cakes, and breads...and it has such a subtle flavor. I love it! One of my favorite ways to eat zucchini is fried in butter. This is probably not too surprising, because I love anything smothered in butter...

Clean and slice the zucchini, add some flour and bread crumbs and coat the zucchini with it. Then put the zucchini into a pan with a bit of melted butter and fry, flip, and fry until it's golden enough for your liking. Toss on a bit of salt at the end and enjoy! Simple summer flavors, it just makes my tummy smile. :)

In England, they call zucchini "courgette". 
The word "zucchini" is italian in origin; the word "courgette" is obviously french in derivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment