Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Peds: Day 14

First day on outpatient peds! I was in at 8:30 (I got to sleep past 7 today!!!) until 5. This will be my daily schedule. This is how life is meant to be - 8.5hrs per day, brilliant.

Saw a teenager with a bad post-concussive syndrome, with feelings of disequilibrium, nausea, and migraine. Poor kiddo. I also had several well child visits, which I enjoyed a lot. There was a cute little 1 year old that I got to just play around with, and I got to just be silly with her while I determined how her she was doing developmentally. Such fun! And --- the parents have been so nice!!! What a difference between inpatient and outpatient. Moms and dads aren't nearly as nice to students/doctors when their kids are sick and in the hospital...

This week I'm focusing on being more confident... I am right more often than wrong, I'm learning more everyday, and I've been working hard. If I sound even slightly unsure of myself, it doesn't even matter if I'm right or wrong because no one will believe or trust what you say. And since I only say what I am 100% sure of being totally true, I need to exude confidence so that what I say will be taken seriously. One of those things everyone expects of doctors is confidence without arrogance. That balance can be difficult to find.

After work, Mike, Marley, and I went to watch his kids team play - they won 7-2. I know I say this all the time, but Mike is seriously a great coach. The kids really look up to him, and they love to try and get the ball away from him when they're messing about in practice. They listen to what he tells them to do, and they respect his criticisms. I wish I was more like him, the way that he can approach each kids learning style differently and effectively and patiently. I'm a lucky girl to be marrying such a great guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment