Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peds: Day 22

Had my OSCE today. One patient consisted of a telephone interview, and I had to do my best to convince the mother to take her child to the emergency room (long story short, she had meningitis). That was difficult...like, "I know you need to work and I understand it is important to work when scheduled, but your baby's health is of the highest importance at this time, and we need to get her in to see a doctor and start treatment straight away." I've been wondering all night whether or not my fake mom took her fake baby into the emergency room and if the fake baby is doing ok! Mike told me not to worry and that he's sure they're doing fine.haha  The other patient was a teenager who needed a refill prescription as well as significant patient education on her medical condition and appropriate compliance with medications, followed by providing two written prescriptions for the patient. That was much more straight forward, and no patient note was necessary. All in all it wasn't too bad...I just never like to be unsure of what is expected of me, and what I should expect during the encounters as well. It is really uncomfortable to me, starting all of these new experiences without any idea of what to expect at all. My life is not my own this year, I belong to the college of medicine. But after third year finishes, I will finally regain some control over my life. I'm a control freak, so this year has been a challenge!

My pediatric shelf exam is tomorrow. Hoping for the best. I got through my casefiles book, ran through a bunch of practice questions and lecture modules and a practice exam, so I should be prepared for this exam, at least in theory. After the difficulty of the surgical shelf, I think I'll have pretty smooth sailing from here on out!

We went out and got Marley a new toy. She's been so sweet to me lately, she always senses when I'm stressed and need some extra snuggles. So we brought a new toy home for her, which she now knows as "Froggy" (Mike wouldn't have it be named "Kermit" cos it's too much work to say with his accent).

Here's Froggy!



No comments:

Post a Comment