Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

OB-Gyn: Day 7

 This sums up how I feel today....

Today, I am on labor and delivery OR service. I have assisted in one c-section (so far) and two bilateral tubal ligations. I was taught how to do the subcutaneous stitch to close the incision, and how to back stitch to create tension and avoid knot tying and its subsequent scar (patients typically don't like to be able to feel the suture for the rest of their lives). My first one was not so hot, but my second one was decent. There shouldn't be much of a scar at all. The attending thought I did well, impressed that it was only my second attempt at a subcutaneous suture. I also did a few knots, but I seriously need to become more proficient in two-handed knots if I am to impress in the OR. My one handed ones are great, quick and effective, but we use two-handed ties in the OR.
I love the surgeries. I love the variety that you can see as an OB-Gyn. It's a good fit for people who get bored of the same old routine day after day (like me!).
Were having a little dinner party tonight after I finish work at about 8 (hours on L&D consist of 14 hour shifts). Thank god I have a fiancé that knows how to cook! All I have to do is show up hungry - I'm a pretty lucky girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment