Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Surgical AHEC: Day 7, 8, 9

Wednesday and Friday were clinic days. I saw a variety of patients, the most common complaint involved gallstones/cholecystitis. I typically run through an HPI and physical exam on each patient, present the patient to the attending, and then observe the attending elicit an HPI and physical exam, and then he proceeds to speak about the risks of surgery, how the procedure works, possible complications, what to expect post operatively, and so on. I think I can recite his speech on cholecystectomies by memory, I've heard it so many times!

On Thursday, we took out a lymph node from the groin to check for a lymphoma, did a couple of hernia repairs, and 2 lap cholecystectomies. I'm getting better and better at my sutures and knot tying. I have a feeling that I'm going to miss it when surgery is through... I also got to put the gallbladders into the bag with the instruments and remove it from the abdomen. Pretty fun!!! I'm really enjoying this time with my attending at a rural hospital; they have a life, they are really respected, and they above all else love what they do. Such a stark difference to what I've seen in my first rotations, where the doctors eat, sleep, and breathe surgery.

One more week to go on my surgical rotation! I can't even believe it...

No comments:

Post a Comment