Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Surgical AHEC: Day 12

Welp, folks...the day has finally come. My last day of surgery. Leaving the OR today, I felt a little sentimental; I won't be involved with surgeries ever again. That was it. 10 weeks of it, that's all I will really see of it for the rest of my life. Bittersweet, another small chapter in my novel of a time involved in becoming a doctor is finished. Well, nearly finished. I would be remiss if I forget to mention my shelf exam that is tomorrow, I still need to complete that before I can say that I am officially finished with surgery.

It's Gina's birthday today! After I finished my last day of work at the AHEC - I got to help do a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy today - I came back up to my apartment, studied for a few hours, then went out to eat for Gina's birthday. We went to this mom-and-pop Italian pizzeria, it was pretty good. Yummm the thin crust pizza was just loaded with fresh mushrooms, it was sooooo tasty! (side note: just realized I mentioned colonoscopy and a tasty pizza in the same paragraph - I must be getting a bit too comfortable with the icky-stuff in medicine!haha)

Anddddd while in the middle of dinner, I got a phone call (I've been waiting for a certain phone call, so I answered), and the woman on the other end addressed me as "Doctor". Used my full name and everything. My first phone call addressing me as a doctor... Made.My.Day. It's like another small victory, another step towards getting that MD... Sometimes I get so caught up in learning and revising that I forget that I WILL be a doctor (and fairly soon as well!). :) :) :)


Happy birthday to Gina, one of the most caring, unselfish, kind-hearted, and genuine people I have ever met in my life! I am so lucky to call her my best friend!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment