Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Surgical AHEC: Day 11

Rounded from 8-9, then I was in clinic today from 9-11, and then went to help do a subtotal gastrectomy with a different attending physician until about 3:30. I was complemented on how well I tie knots ("good technique"); to get a complement from a surgeon is a total honor, they are not the kind of people that like to make others look good. So I was asked to tie off a few arteries...must mean I am doing a good job if he trusted me with putting in tight enough and solid enough knots that the artery won't leak!

One thing that was suggested to do when you start clinical years to count something... Like, count the number of times you see this rare disease, or this type of presentation for this disease, etc. I've decided to keep track of how many times I am mistakenly called a nurse versus how many  times I am mistaken for a doctor. I can finally say that I have been called a doctor more times than a nurse by a close count of 4-to-3. Most people don't expect to see a female surgeon, so I can only assume that's the cause of the misconception..! But I LOVE when I sit and talk with my patient, answer their questions, and then follow the attending into the room for his interview only to see that I've already answered everything (and answered them correctly), which must make me look like I know what I'm doing! ;) Or maybe I just get lucky, as the famous surgical saying goes, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while."

One.Day.Left. Holy cow. Where have the past 10 weeks gone??? And, more importantly, where the heck has summer gone?! I'd like those hot days back again, please! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment