Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend!

What a gorgeous 3-day weekend!! The sun was so hot and beautiful, such a perfect end to summer! Enjoyed the 100+ degree weather with a few runs in the park, it was brilliant. I'm going to miss this weather once fall rears its chilly head...but I do have a few ideas of new experiences for Mike & me during the fall months; hopefully my life will be a little less chaotic once surgery is over and I'm on to pediatrics.

Just did some proper cleaning round the apartment, took us 2 days to get it all sorted. What.a.mess. Went out for a nice dinner, just the two of us. Then we met up with Gina & Ben at a pub near their house and had a few drinks and lots of laughs.


We also finished up our photo album, it looks great. Mike has spent so much time on it, putting all of these little touches onto each page, making them look perfect. He is so crafty, who would have ever guessed?! ;)  Then to finish the weekend, we dived into the green card to-do list head first. We have a lot to do, but I know it will end up being perfectly put together, extra touches and personal additions that will make the whole process go as smoothly as possible. No need for a silly lawyer when I'm around!! ;)

Ok, seriously, how funny is this dog?! 
She's so cute sometimes; I can't hardly take it!! :)


I've been studying for the shelf I'll be taking on Friday, its crazy how you can feel like you have so much to learn even after all these years of studying medicine! I'm waiting for my brain to just "click"; What I mean is that for the first 2 years of medical school, we learn the disease from the beginning onwards. For example, we learn that Appendicitis has peri-umbilical pain to begin with, followed by RLQ pain and tenderness, and rebound tenderness, particularly around McBurney's point. There may or may not be a fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or leukocytosis. To cure, you remove the appendix and on pathology you see that half the time it is appendicitis, half the time it isn't. Now, however, we learn it backwards: A patient comes in with nausea and a slight fever, along with abdominal pain. May or may not have pain specifically in the RLQ, doesn't remember if his umbilical area was painful before he noticed the pain he's experiencing now. From that, you've got to make it through a differential diagnosis in your head: pretty sure it's appendicitis, so to prove it we have to do some sort of imaging (CT with contrast is best), which may not prove to you that it is or is not appendicitis. So you look through your differentials...diverticulitis? kidney stone? hernia? testicular torsion? perforation with fluid filling the right colic gutter?...just to name a few. So then what? Take out the appendix if I'm pretty sure it was appendicitis, and take a look around the area while I'm in there. But can you see the different way of approaching the problem? It's a total flip-flop from what I have been learning the past 2 years, hence why I mentioned that I'm waiting for my brain to just "click" and allow things to flow in the opposite direction. I know the information is all in there, somewhere, it's just difficult to retrieve it when the questions and information is presented to you in a new and intriguing way. Things are starting to properly "click", but oh my is it frustrating when you can't get to the information that you know you have stored somewhere up in that skull of yours. The different attendings have all warned us of the new way of learning, that's the fun of the 3rd year of medical school. We will all have that "a-ha" moment, when things just make sense both ways, and diagnosis and treatment becomes such a fun thing to do. It just takes several months for us to get there...hopefully it will come sooner for me than later, until then I'll keep revising and presenting scenarios in different perspectives to try and get my mind to switch over to real-life mode!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment