Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Surgical AHEC: Day 10

Seriously: what a FUN day!!! AAaaahhh I've missed work after having a 3-day weekend away from it. I just love how complicated medicine is, and how rewarding it can be when things work out as planned. I was in from 9a-4:30p, did rounds then performed several surgeries. We did an incisional epigastric hernia repair, pilonidal cyst drainage, 2 laparoscopic cholecystectomies, and 1 laparoscopic converted to open cholecystectomy. I took out 2 gallbladders today, I pushed in a hernia sac prior to suturing it, and I closed the incisions with my single interrupted inverted suture skills. How.cool.is.that! I mean, how many people can say that they made people's lives better just by doing their job?! I LOVE this, I just LOVE medicine. I have never fit in to anything as perfectly as I fit into this; I know that this is what I was put on earth to do, and I could not imagine doing anything else! If only I were making the money that my superiors are making, then I would truly be living the dream, but I have to say, I already feel as though I am. I don't need the money to be happy, I'm doing what I love and who can ask for anything more??? (OH and I happen to have the world's BEST FIANCE, how lucky am I?!)

I'm trying SO HARD to study for this shelf, but it's not easy to find the time to revise after a full day's work. I know, I know, I've said this all before. But really how many times do I really need to read about fluid resuscitation, nutrition, wound healing, cholecystitis, etc etc etc. Apparently, several more times than I have done. There is just so much to know, so many ways to understand it through and through.

2. Days. Left. I honestly can't believe that I'm going to say this, but...I am soooo definitely going to miss getting my hands messy in my patients bellies and putting in sutures and *curing* their illness (in many cases). I can't believe how much I have enjoyed surgery, I am amazed by how much I actually like it when I thought for sure that I would *hate* it!!! 2 days left to be the best surgical student I can be; I'm gonna go out doing my best! :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment