Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Peds: Day 6

Worked 6a-5p. Seriously, the worst day of my third year so far. After getting there early, I sat around and waited...we didn't actually round until about 7 (nothing upsets me more than sitting around doing nothing - or what Mike calls it, "faffing" around). Then I went to round on my ONE patient. ONE. Finished with my ONE patient in about 15 minutes, waited for 2 hours to do rounds with the attending. Rounded, and we didn't have any teaching points. None. No pimping, no explanation, no thought-process. Had a tiny lecture on fluids (seriously, its not hard people! 4ml/kg/hr for first 10kg, 2ml/kg/hr for the second 10kg, then 1ml/kg/her thereafter - it seriously can't be any simpler). Then we learned how to write an admission and a discharge order, so we are able to fill it out for our residents. I like to call this kind of work "busy work" --> where I am doing someone else's responsibilities without receiving any form of compensation in return. Obviously I'm not getting paid, but I do expect some teaching from you in return for doing some of your work. I don't normally mind, but I have learned nothing from any one today except from my patients and my own research. When I'm paying about $10/hr to be there, I damn well expect a little bit of teaching to go on. But not today. And then I had to go in and talk to a young girl who tried to overdose on antidepressants, which was absolutely heartbreaking. Finally, the day ended after I listened to a few physician assistant students tell me how they are better than not only nurse practitioners, but MDs as well. I mean, the clue is really in the name ---> physician ASSISTANT, so you can stop with the charade of placing yourself at the level of an MD. I know that's harsh, but I spent an hour biting my tongue as they explained how they are so useful, money-saving, smart, and how they are the next "step forward in healthcare"...so I am allowed to be a little offended. Incidentally, I would place NPs ahead of PAs, as they are at least the top of the nursing profession, can manage their own clinic, and (in most states) don't need to be supervised by a physician in order to work. I don't think the PA students would like me very much if I admitted that to them, though...! And these PAs are in for a very long life if they refuse to get along with doctors...

Ok. Rant over. I don't like to complain, and it's rare that I do, but it has been one of those horrible days. I am not enjoying this rotation in the slightest. I can't figure out if it's because of dealing with kids, or because of the residents, or the attending, or the team, or the hospital, or what it is. All I know is that I don't look forward to going in to work in the mornings, and this is the first time I've felt like this in a very long time. I guess things can only get better...

On a positive note - I scheduled for my fourth rotation last night! After Peds and OB-GYN, I will be doing...Internal Medicine!!! I got into the one I wanted...should be fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment