Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 9

I was in today from 6a-7p...short day! ;) I did some paperwork, interviewed and examined patients, and then rounded with the attending. There was another Level 1 Trauma today, who was life-flighted in with an open, compound humerus fracture, pelvic fracture, femur fracture, tibia-fibula fracture, and a frontal bone fracture with a pneumocephalus. It was really impressive, the fractures were just so obvious. I'm still finding it hard to see someone in such a traumatic state, but I am beginning to be a little less emotional and a little more calm-minded about such notable traumas.

The motorcycle patients continue to recover. If you must insist on riding a motorcycle, at least please wear a helmet. If you ride often enough, a crash will occur and it is life-saving to have a helmet on. I hate motorcycles now. They are so dangerous, I can't even see the point in having one. If everyone had to see a patient come in and slowly recover (if he's lucky!), motorcycles would be a thing of the past...but regardless, you can at least wear a helmet!

The thing that has been bothering me the most is caring for a terminally ill patient. For instance, a scenario in which a patient who has stage 4, terminal cancer will succumb to their illness; when do we cease our efforts while maintaining optimum patient care congruent with the patient's wishes of dying a dignified and humane death? It breaks my heart to see a patient struggling on a ventilator, sedated out of any form of consciousness, and dying of a terminal illness. Where is the line drawn between doing what the family wants vs. treating the patient with dignity, compassion, and respect during the final days of life? Where is that distinction made?...this is definitely something I'll be dealing with and thinking about a lot for the next 8 weeks (and inevitably for the rest of my life). Not a pleasant thing to think about, but it is very important to develop an opinion on what I believe to be optimal care for the patient's end of life care.

No comments:

Post a Comment