Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 6, 7, & 8

What a weekend! Phew! I clocked in over 36 hours this weekend: Saturday 6-2, Sunday 6a-Monday 10a... and it was busy. Summer time brings out all the trauma: motorcycle accidents (there have been far too many epidural, subdural, and intraparenchymal hemorrhages!), softballs/baseballs to the face, outdoor falls, and MVAs.


The first patient that I have seen through admission until post-op is doing really well. He had a huge epidural hematoma; I was with the team when he came into the trauma bay, through the CT scans, and watched his epidural evacuation operation. After we extabated him and he came to a few days after his accident, one of the first words he said was a raspy and sincerely heartfelt "thank you". I can't tell you how good that makes me feel; medicine is unbelievable. He is now alert and responsive, and will be discharged soon (provided things continue to do well, which we expect to be the case). I'm so happy to see him doing well.

This weekend involved a few Level 1 Traumas, so I have been a busy girl. I am learning so much so fast; this is definitely the way to learn medicine, not by the books. I absolutely love seeing patients, managing their ailments, and serving their needs. Even if I have put in nearly 100 hours in the past 7 days, I am still loving it. I miss having a life, but I am coping. I miss Mike a whole lot, but I don't think things will get much better for a long time!

This weekend, Mike & I saw Harry Potter, which was great. Then we went to a friend's house on Saturday for dinner and drinks (I of course was in work at 6a the next day - welcome to the glamorous life of a physician!). Today I totally got my long list of chores done - 6 loads of laundry, grocery shopping, bills paid, research completed, everything! I haven't slept yet, but I am so glad to have had some time to get my everyday needs completed at least once this week!haha

woooooooo fingers crossed, I will have this coming weekend off so I can actually spend some time with Mike and Marley!!! :) :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment