Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 1

Woooooooah...what a day! I was in scrubs and waiting for my resident by 5:30a. I was so nervous that I would get one of those stereotypical surgery residents, that are manly men and are domineering...but I was pleased to find that my residents are the exact opposite! They have been so helpful in teaching me already, and they understand that it was my very first day ever on the wards, so they didn't push too far.

We checked on all of the Trauma Surgery patients from 6-10, then rounded on the SICU (Surgical Intensive Care Unit) with the attending from 10-12. I took a quick surgical assessment risk survey for one of my patients, then ate a quick lunch before working in the clinic from 1-6. From 6 to 7 we rounded on our Trauma Surgery patients with the attending, and finished the night checking over tonight's to-do patient lists and taking one last look at our SICU patients. I finished my first day at 8p. Nothing like jumping straight in to 14+hour work days!

Saw many interesting patients...I have so much to learn & the opportunities that the patients present to me are endless.I won't have to do many surgeries in the next 3 weeks either, which is good so I can focus on patient management rather than surgical procedures!

My first patient was...believe it or not...a colon cancer survivor! It was a post-surg follow up appointment... I don't know of many people that would be excited to have a colon patient as their very first patient, but I was thrilled!

Now I need to do a bit of research and prepare a presentation for tomorrow before I can finally kick back and relax (and of course SLEEEEEP!) Tomorrow starts by 6am. oh boy! ;)

Tired Feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment