Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 11

Today was my shortest day yet! 6a-5:15p, doing the usual pre-round paperwork and interviews, followed by a few hours of rounding with the attending. Today we had a few lectures as well: one was on ARDS and the use of a smaller Tidal Volume respiration for treatment, one was on Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) classification and surgical criteria. The last lecture was on DVTs (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and PEs (Pulmonary Embolism). I feel like my knowledge and capabilities are starting to shine through; Even though I spend a lot of time on paperwork, I am still learning so much every single day...from interpreting labs and CTs, to understanding mechanisms of pharmacology, to applying physiologic principles to solve a pathologic problem. I am so definitely NOT a surgeon; my personality is so far removed from a surgeon's that I find it hard to imagine that we could ever really get along. Many of the surgeons are very overly confident, self-reliant, and presume themselves to be god-like. That is so not me. Give me a complex case, I'll sift through the details and come up with a sound diagnosis, assessment, and plan...don't give me a facial fracture that needs to be fixed. I want a difficult diagnosis. So at least I'm learning a little bit about myself along the way as well!

Yesterday, we had a lecture on how to teach others, and how to learn from each other. It was said that, in order to be considered an "expert" in any field, it takes at least 10 years of experience and 10,000 hours of purposeful and supervised practice. Since I only started to see patients last week, I have a really long way to go! But I'm looking forward to the challenge...


Since I got out of work by 5:15 today, I had time to sit out on the patio and bask in the glorious heat and sun - and read one of my wedding magazines!

 I am trying to find some time to begin the organizational portion of wedding planning. The first thing I want to do is find a venue that suits our style and taste, and matches our vision of our wedding perfectly. Not sure where to even look in Toledo for what we would want, but we're going to start on it properly soon. We feel like we've had our time to sit back and enjoy being engaged, and we're ready to move on to enjoying the exciting time of planning for our wedding, and it would be nice to have a date officially set! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment