Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 4

ahhhhhhhhh I scrubbed in to my first operation today!!!!!!!  It was a life-flighted Epidural Hematoma. It was amazing. Seriously, what a rush! I saw him come in, and I stayed with him until he was stable in the medical ICU room...which was about 7 hours. How cool. I wanna tell you all about him, but here's a quick rundown: a man hit his head, walked home thinking he was ok, then fell asleep on the floor where he was found. Typical Epidural Hematoma scenario: A head trauma, a lucid interval where things seem ok, then a medical emergency. This is what Liam Neeson's wife died from. Luckily, he came into our department in time to be resuscitated. He was alert and oriented before surgery. The CT scan looked just like what you read in textbooks; I know I said it yesterday, but it is SO COOL to see real people with these problems rather than just cases in a book! Anyway, I scrubbed in and stayed for the entire surgery. It was sooooo cool. Seriously. And I'm not even into surgery, I have no real interest in it. But it was really amazing; He would have died without intervention; the doctors today saved this man's life. This is why I love medicine. Just amazing.

I was in from 6a-8p. Phew. I'm whipped.

Oh yea, the patient from yesterday, with the CNIII palsy, is recovering. We found the lesion on the MRI, and this patient is actually getting better, albeit slowly. That's really reassuring. Such amazing things happen every day in medicine!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment