Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 10

6a-7p today. I saw 2 different Level 2 traumas today. In between them, I did paperwork, attended a 2 hour meeting, made rounds with the attending for over 4 hours, and helped discharge patients.

My first-ever surgery patient is doing really well. He's on the "step-down from surgery" unit, up and walking down the hallways. He is doing really well, it just makes me smile.

Yesterday's ethical situation which I eluded to was brought to a peaceful and dignified closure today. Aggressive therapy was discontinued and comfort care was initiated. The patient was at peace with the world, leaving on her own terms and without pain or discomfort. This is my first experience of death as a student-doctor. I have had a patient die literally in my arms when I was a nurse's aide, so, although no death is easy to accept, I feel that witnessing a patient die peacefully and dignified and in the company of family and friends is much preferred to a sudden and unexpected end of life.

On a much happier note, I put in my first suture today!!! It was a single, interrupted suture of a foot laceration. I even was the one to inject lidocaine into the area surrounding the injury prior to the suture. It was a really great way to end the day! And the suture looked really great, symmetrical and provided good closure. Not bad for my first go!!! :)

Trauma Surg is officially halfway over! I signed up for my next clerkship, which begins on September 10th. I will be doing Pediatrics for 5 weeks followed by OB-GYN for 5 additional weeks. It will be a nice change of pace to the whole surgery lifestyle! I'm looking forward to it already!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment