Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Surgery: Day 1

Today was the first day of my surgical clerkship! We went over the biliary system, x-ray interpretation, scrubbing in and gowning in a sterile environment, placing a foley catheter, placing an nasogastric tube, and how to place IVs. I didn't have a single story that stuck out to be used as today's "Clinical Pearl", but I did see a pretty graphic x-ray of a flashlight stuck in some man's rectum. I also saw an x-ray of the world's most botched NG-tube insertion - the tube went from the nose up into the brain via a fracture in the frontal skull. How can someone make such an obvious mistake?! "hm...I don't see the N-G tube in the pharynx, I'll just push in another foot and see if that helps..." What.an.error. At least I am confident that my inexperience-induced mistakes won't be as horrible as that!

"Am I safe to assume that you all are the type of people that tear off the top of the cupcake and eat that first? Because you chose to do the best clerkship first!" ( - Clerkship Director)

I love seeing all of my classmates dressed up in their professional attire, complete with our short white coats and stethoscopes. As I was walking with a group of us, I had an unexpected, immediate, and almost surreal sense of fulfillment; I feel like I really am now part of the doctor-team. It's unreal. All of those endless hours learning every little detail of every medical subject is finally being used in a meaningful way. I am beyond excited to finally see patients. I know I keep saying it, but I have worked for the last 20 years of my life to get to where I am today, and I think I am expected to be over-the-moon about this. I'm scared to make mistakes, but I am gaining confidence in myself each day, so I feel that the transition from student to doctor will certainly happen with time. I am so indescribably happy to be starting with my clinical experience; I truly feel that I am exactly where I am meant to be.

Just as a side note, many of my peers who are beginning their clinical life in different clerkships had the afternoon off. I was in from 7a-6p. Not a complaint, just an observation...Welcome to the surgical life! ;)

OH! And I came home to a spotless apartment and tea made - bangers and mash (which totally hit the spot!). Mike said that since he knew how hard I was working and how busy I am, he thought he could handle the apartment chores. I am a lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment