Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Surgery: Day 4

Orientation week is finished! I start on the Trauma Service early Monday morning...! I'm REALLY excited to see my first patient!!! I still need to buy some books, find a decent pair of shoes, talk to my resident to see when and where I need to meet him on Monday, and learn everything I can about documentation/SOAP notes/taking a good H&P before Monday morning...!

Lectures ran from 8:30a-6p (I got to sleep in until 7 so that's a good start to a Friday!). I had a suture lab this morning; we learned how to do vertical and horizontal "mattress sutures" and how to tie surgeon's knots. Last week, I was taught how to do "Simple Interrupted Sutures". This technique is basically putting the needle in the far side of the wound, passing it through to the near side, and then tying a surgeon's knot to hold the suture in place. These sutures take a lot of time to place, but they allow for greater tension and, if followed-up properly, can reduce the risk of scarring.
Illustration of a Simple Interrupted Suture 

Today, we practiced the "Vertical Mattress Suture". This is useful for really deep lacerations, as it allows the subcutaneous tissue to be brought together separately from the dermis, but that also means that there is room for placement error by the physician's suturing. It also has a fairly high risk of producing a "railroad-track scar". The technique is "far-far, near-near", which is labeled below as needle strikes "1, 2, 3, 4".
Illustration for the Vertical Mattress Suture:

Here's a picture of how I sutured my pig foot's laceration:

...I have some work to go before I will feel absolutely comfortable with suturing, but I'll get the time to perfect my skills when I am closing up skin after surgeries! :) :) :)

A few good quotes from today:
"Being a physician is the noblest profession; To me, teaching is the second noblest, and we, as physicians, have the opportunity to be a part of both. Share your knowledge, it will be your legacy." - Dr. G
"The safest place in the hospital is the Operating Room." - Dr. O

Reference: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1824895-overview#a03

No comments:

Post a Comment