Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Psych: Day 10

Today has gotten away from me. Long day at work, went to the gym, put together a presentation about bipolar disorder and genetics that I will be presenting tomorrow, made dinner, read up on some details for tomorrows new patients, washed the dog, did the budget, worked on the guest list, then finished with an episode of mad men (my newest tv obsession). Busy day. I'm ready for a bit of a slow down any time now!


So I've been thinking about Whitney Houston's death recently, apparently from an overdose of depressant drugs. Strange how all the celebrity deaths can be linked to poor medical practice - it is never a good idea to give an addictive drug like Xanax or benzodiazepines to someone who has a history of addiction. Being famous does not make it any safer or more reasonable to give in - giving benzos to a woman with some serious problems with drug addiction is poor medical practice. I hope that this tragedy helps remind us of our primary duty as physicians - first, do no harm. Its so easy to forget this principle when blinded by the celebrity or by treating our friends or families. One would wish this will serve as a reminder to us to practice medicine responsibly, That we might learn from our mistakes so that they don't happen again.

Another little something I got all the way from England - a cute headband. Works so well with my professional attire. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment