Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Psych: Day 5

Today, I was on Outpatient and Inpatient Child/Adolescent Psych. Many of the children that I saw today have a diagnosis of ADHD along with mood disorders. I spent some time with a child with oppositional defiant disorder, which can be a pre-cursor to conduct disorder, which precedes anti-social personality disorder. It is interesting how so many different things can play a part in the development of psychological disorders, and how those things can impact a child and skew the normal development of a person at such a young age.

I am so thankful that there are people who can care for patients such as this, who have incredible patience and understanding. Even after spending just a few hours in childhood psych, I felt overwhelmed and a little hopeless. These patients will never have a "cure", and the best they can hope for is a "normal" life, which, to me, is such a depressing situation to handle day after day as these psychiatrists do.




I spent the rest of my day cleaning the apartment because Mike will be home on Monday (and I haven't cleaned since he left...oops). Made myself dinner (an actual meal as well) and did some revision. Another exciting weekend in the life of a med student...


No comments:

Post a Comment