Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

OB-Gyn: Day 8, 9, 10

I'm not really sure where October went (or the rest of the time since June), but here we are in November already. Third year of Med School is really flying by...

My final day on Labor & Delivery was Tuesday. Nothing too extraordinary happened; I actually didn't see a single delivery. I thought there would be a sudden rush of births, being such a good day to be born (11.1.11); but then again, maybe those kids are waiting for the big 11.11.11. ;) I really enjoyed my time on L&D. There is something so inspiring and uplifting about new life. To see the mother and father's love in their eyes while they wait for the baby to decide to enter the world...to see the father hold mom's hand and offer encouraging love and support while in labor...to watch a mother hold her baby in her arms for the first time...to see the tears in a father's eyes when the baby starts his first cry...it is truly an amazing experience. I was fortunate enough to have witnessed more than 20 births in my 7 days on L&D, and I know that it is an experience that I will never forget. How beautiful.

The past 2 days have been spend on Gynecologic Oncology, which is where I will spend the next 2 weeks of my time. While I'm not a huge fan of pelvic surgery, I do love the atmosphere of Gyn-onc. People are so loving, so committed, so patient-centered, it revives my passion for medicine. And just mentioning cancer makes my ears perk up. I'm starting to feel like I have narrowed down what I will do with my career. I feel like I was put on this earth to help those in their most dire time of need, when they need someone capable of handling the enormous physical and emotional changes that cancer presents... I am relieved to see that what I have always thought would interest me actually does. I get so excited by oncology, but the physiology and the management, the emotional aspects and the necessity of being the absolute best in order to save lives. Luckily, I am now surrounded by two of the best gyn-oncs in the nation. They are brilliant. They are incredibly patient-centered. They are devoted. They are committed. They are perfectionists. They are current. They are researchers. They are teachers. They are friends. They are people to strive to emulate. I am so lucky to be working with them. I know that I will learn an incredible amount from them, and what is more important, I know that what they will teach me will be the best evidence-based medical practices available.

Today, I was mistakenly called a doctor on 5 separate occasions. A girl could get used to this! ;) Best quote of the day "I can't tell you how relieved I am to have 4 women doctors taking care of me!" Just another reason why I love OB-Gyn - patients love to see a caring, female face! :)

I miss spending time with Mike and Marley. I miss having time to see my family. I miss seeing my friends. I miss working out. I miss cooking. I even miss cleaning! I miss having a normal life. But I absolutely love medicine, I adore the difficulty, the thought, the complexity, and the responsibility of it. I could never do anything else as a career; this is definitely my calling. I love it so much that I don't even complain about the 80 hour work weeks!!! (but I know sometimes I want to complain about how tired I am - but I don't dare to complain too much for the residents work longer than I!).

Seriously, how can you not love this face!?


Mike gets his fingerprints and photos taken at the USCIS office near us tomorrow. Fingers crossed for quick processing (no pun intended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment