Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Internal Medicine: Orientation (Days 1, 2, 3)

The past 3 days were filled with orientation lectures for internal medicine.

On Monday, we had our overview for ACLS training. We went over how to handle a patient who is rushed into the emergency room with an acute coronary syndrome. As I have previously worked on Trauma Surgery, I have actively been involved in the ACLS protocol. A lot of today was review mixed with further understanding of why we give the medications that we do during different ECG waveforms. I was reminded of this one day during Trauma Surgery, when my friend, Steve, and I came in to the hospital at 5:45a and a level I trauma came in at 5:50. We were involved with that trauma until late morning, then went to complete our rounds. Before we had any sort of break, it was 15:00...so we finally rushed down to the cafeteria for a quick bite to eat. After we got our food and just as we sat down, we talked with our other friends about how we had plenty of time to eat, "there was already one massive trauma today", and just then a trauma alert was on the intercom and we had to run off to the Trauma, leaving most of our dinner behind. Ironic. Kind of how life goes!!!

On Tuesday, we had several morning lectures regarding death and dying as well as treatment of pain, shortness of breath, or GI issues in the terminally ill. Difficult things to talk about so early in the morning...but part of our 10 week clerkship includes 1 week at Hospice. I'm looking forward to assisting those who are terminally ill, sitting down and chatting with them and learning all that I can from their experiences. It's not an easy thing to do, I would guess that most med students dread that week at Hospice, but I am looking forward to the opportunity to help and learn from those who have little time left in this world. I have always respected what Hospice does for people, especially after they helped with my aunt, Helen's, final weeks. They are a great organization, helpful with easing pain and providing emotional support to the family.

Today we went over some of the logistics of the hospital, as if we haven't been working there for the past 5 months. I guess it's always nice to have a quick refresher. The nurse who presented this also gave us a lot of motivation, as he really showcased the great things that are going on at our hospital and how incredibly amazing some of our attendings are. One of our cardiologists, a really amazing man with an incomparable love of people and is incredibly patient-centered, has a waiting list that exceeds 2 years. Oh and guess what? I'll be working with him for three weeks in January. Learning from one of the best, how lucky am I?!

My sister had her first colonoscopy today (nothing like a good clean-out a day before thanksgiving!), and she was clear. No polyps. That's great news! We always get nervous when it comes to our yearly colonoscopy date, so scared that they might find something...it is such a relief when they have a clean report.  Our phenomenal GI doctor gave us new recommendations on how to continue to prevent cancer due to HNPCC/Lynch Syndrome, which includes taking 2 325mg of aspirin every day. That research only just came out at the end of October, and he already is promoting its use. He's one of the good ones, glad I can trust him with my health and my family's as well!

My new daily regimen: 

No comments:

Post a Comment