Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grandad's Wake

As today is Mike's grandad's funeral, I wanted to take some time to reflect...

The first time I met Billy was Boxing Day in 2009. I had just arrived in England that day, my first day I had ever been in the UK. Mike's auntie, Lynda, hosted a little family get together for boxing day (or maybe it was a legitimate excuse for the family to meet this girl who had stolen Mike's heart), and it was there that I met Mike's grandad. As there were so many new people to meet, and I was exhausted from the flight, I don't remember a lot about the first impressions...but I distinctly remember meeting Billy. Mike introduced us to one another, he stood up out of his chair and we shook hands, and although I can't remember all of the words we exchanged, I can clearly remember the big smile on his face as we finished our introductions and he looked back to Mike. He was genuinely and obviously happy to see Mike so happy, to see our young love and happiness. That was one of the warmest welcomes I had received that day, and I immediately felt much more at ease, he made me feel like it was okay to just be myself. Mike has told me lately that this quality is one of his favorites of his grandad; he loved unconditionally, without prejudice or expectations. He was always proud of Mike, loving him for being him. Mike was his first grandchild - and, from the stories I've heard, it seems like the best day of his life was the day that Mike was born: for that entire day, he had a big smile across his face and bragged about his first grandchild to anyone who would listen. As Mike grew up, living near to his grandparents, he spent a lot of his time with Billy, and they were very close. Mike loves his family dearly, and the hardest thing he's ever done was to have left them to be with me in America. In the past 3 years, Mike has often mentioned how much he misses Billy, and he would reminisce on some of his favorite memories of him...and talk about how much he wanted to go back home to spend some more time with him...how he would love for Billy to meet our Marley...how he wanted our wedding in England so that Billy could attend...

Since the approval for emergent travel was not accepted in time (and preventing Mike from being present at the funeral), Mike was asked to choose the song for the funeral. Of course Mike chose "In My Life", a favorite song of the family. Wish we could be there with the family and all of the friends that are grieving this loss.




Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow; I am the diamond glints on the snow.
I am the sunlight that ripened grain; I am the gentle autumns’ rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush, I am the swift uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds in circled flight. I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there; I did not die.



May the road rise to meet you. 
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, 
May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand.


God looked around His garden 
And found an empty place.
He then looked down upon the earth
And saw your tired face.
He put his arms around you 
And lifted you to rest.
God’s garden must be beautiful
He always takes the best.
He saw the road was getting rough
And the hills were hard to climb,
So He closed your weary eyelids
And whispered "Peace be thine".
It broke our hearts to lose you
But you didn’t go alone,
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment