Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Radiation-Oncology: Day 6

Just another day in the wonderful world of Oncology!

I seriously love this job. Today, my attending asked me if, after 4 years of undergraduate education and 3 years of medical school, I was still excited about becoming a doctor...Without hesitation, I replied with childlike enthusiasm: "Yes! Of course! I could never imagine doing anything else for the rest of my life!" The reason he asked me this was because of a recent poll (which was released on Friday) regarding physicians' salaries and quality of life. One question which was asked in the survey was: "If you could do it all over again, would you still go in to medicine?" and the overall result was that only 54% said yes... Kind of a scary thought, knowing that about half of physicians wouldn't go into medicine if they could do it over again...

It is an interesting survey. To see some other results (including salaries for various specialties, compensation, quality of life, hours per week of patient contact, hours per week of paperwork, etc), click here.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was excited to find that the books I purchased online last week arrived...I finally have the USMLE Step 2 Prep Book that corresponds with my Doctors-In-Training Review Course. This Mass Gen Pocket Medicine reference book (that fits perfectly into the pocket of a white coat) will undoubtedly come in handy when I am an Acting Intern on the medical wards this fall; I'm sure it will be useful when I am an actual intern as well.

I mean, who needs to buy new clothes when you can spend $80 on a few more medical reference materials?!


1 comment:

  1. The blogs are really the voice of the heart of the writers. The blogs are really knowledgeable and thought provoking. This shows your internal calmness and knowledge in the brain. The style is much impressive and I shall come again to catch up the latest posts.
    womens clothing

    ReplyDelete