Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Trauma Surgery: Day 18

My last day on Trauma Surgery was Sunday! I was in just for rounds, so I worked from 6a-12p. Best.hours.ever! Just visited my patients and wrote their progress notes then rounded with the attending. I am going to miss it. I definitely like that I chose to do Trauma first. The quick action in the trauma bay in the emergency room really helps you pick up on what's most important. I have had a lot of attendings ask me questions about what to do in an emergency, and, because of trauma, I feel prepared. I would definitely recommend it to others; the hours are long (you never get out early cause you never know when there could be a new trauma admit!), but when a trauma case is admitted, it's the one patient that the whole hospital is talking about, and you get to be in on the action. I'll keep up with my patients until they are discharged...I have a feeling long-term care is the type of field I want to go in to, because I want to follow-up and know how all of my patients are. I suppose surgeons do this with their clinics, but I don't know if that would be enough for me...I like to treat the patient as a whole, not as an exclusive part (like "i'll be dealing with your trauma, he'll deal with your heart, and she'll deal with that mass we found on the CT").

I'll be happy not to see anymore massive head injuries from motorcycles, though...Good Riddance!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment