Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Surgical AHEC: Day 6

Was in on Monday from 7a-1:15p. We did 3 laparoscopic cholecystectomies and a sigmoidectomy (removed the sigmoid colon and reattached the loose ends after taking it out). I'm getting more comfortable with throwing stitches, and I am really enjoying being able to participate in the surgeries. I'm the attending's cameraman during the surgeries, and I also got to put a gallbladder into a sac before we removed it from the belly thru a small incision. Pretty cool. After that, we went over some info regarding colorectal cancer and other topics that would be on my oral exam. Then the attending taught me how to throw one-handed left knots, one-handed right knots, two-handed knots. I'm best with my one-handed left knots, but instrument tying is still stronger than hand thrown at the moment. I'm hoping to fix this before I throw another stitch on Thursday morning!

Some One-Handed Left Knots on a Vicryl Suture:

No comments:

Post a Comment