Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Surgical Oncology: Day 5

In from 6a-6p today. Did prerounds then watched a right hemicolectomy from 9-1230 then watched two breast lumpectomies plus sentinel lymph node and axillary lymph node dissection unilateral 6. The first patient had colon cancer so I of course had a strong interest in the case. I even transected the jejunum and colon and anastomosed the stumps back together. Pretty cool! I also stapled the patient's abdomen at the end of the procedure and placed the wound vac. Was fun!! Regarding the breast lumpectomies, I definitely would just get rid of my breast completely rather than a lumpectomy so that my odds of recurrence are the lowest, they are just boobs. Nothing I need right? But our society bases a definition of a woman on her breasts... so we do lumpectomies to conserve boobs instead of lives. The stats are something like: society dictates that 88 breasts are more important than saving 4 lives...

I want to unload all of my whipple experience on to here, but I'm still tired and tomorrow will be a 24 hour shift. Is surgery over yet?!?....

No comments:

Post a Comment