Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Surgical Oncology: Day 2

Was in from 6a-6:30p today...I literally just got home. Rounds, clinic, lunch, then in the OR the rest of the day. I watched the second half of the Ivor Lewis Esophagectomy on a patient with gastric/esophageal cancer, originating at the GE junction. This surgery takes about 9 hours from incision to final suture. The patient was put in the lateral decubitus position (laying on his side), and the right thoracic cavity was opened, and I could see the stomach, diaphragm, heart, esophagus...today was the first day that I have seen them, up close and personal, in a living, breathing patient. It was really humbling. We were thankfully let go before the last surgery began...it will take about 4-5 hours to complete, so I would have been there until at least 10p if the chief resident hadn't let me go.

I love medicine, but I am starting to get a little sick of surgery (and I've only been in the OR about 6 times!). I love seeing patients, talking with them, deciding their treatment and management, and treating the patient as a whole person. Saying that, I heard from a few classmates that Peds can be a real handful, especially when the parents have no idea how to be parents. But I'll find out all about that before long! :)

Quote of the day: The attending was talking about how to handle patients who are losing their battle with cancer, and he alluded to the fact that it is human nature to try and stray away from people we know will be leaving us before long. It's emotionally taxing to deal with the loss of friends, so it is only natural for us to shy away from becoming too friendly or involved. It hurts to lose a friend, a patient. But, he insisted that it is far more important to offer love and compassion to our patients, no matter how difficult it makes life for us, no matter how emotionally draining. A patient who is terminally ill needs love and compassion more than ever, and we need to give it to them, even if we sacrifice our emotional stability in the process. I'm happy to hear a surgeon say that...we have some very caring physicians in our hospital. I'm glad to be a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment