Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Surprise! Spring Cleaning

I went to the organ systems' class this morning and then to ethics this afternoon. We covered neonatal ethical issues; I could never deal with the life-or-death decisions of premature babies on a daily basis, like a Neonatologist does. If a premature baby is born at or beyond 24 weeks of gestation, it is generally accepted to attempt life-saving, curative treatments. If a baby is born at or before 21 weeks of gestation, it is currently generally acceptable to give comfort care to the infant, as the likelihood of survival is dismal. However, in between the 21-24 weeks gestation, there is a "grey zone" in which about 50% of babies live, but nearly all of those who survive will suffer distinct morbidities, such as mental retardation. In the "grey zone", the parents are usually the ones to decide whether to attempt life saving treatments or to comfort and love the baby for the few hours of his life. Either choice seems to be devastating...so very sad. Pregnancy and delivery are meant to be some of the happiest days of a couple's life; I know I look forward to the day Mike and I make our family more complete. But to be put in such a terrible situation, it just seems so incredibly sad. This is the worst part of medicine - not being able to save everyone. I'm already dreading the losses I will see during my career...
To give to March Of Dimes, a worthy cause involving the care of premature babies, please click here.


I was starting to feel really down after ethics - the stress of typical med school life compounded by the sadness of premature babies really knocked me down today. So I stopped by my sister's house and she made me feel much better. :) Then Mike sent me this text when I was about to head home for the night, to begin an evening full of studying and playing catch up on my work. This is what it said:


Not knowing what kind of surprise Mike had up his sleeve, I walked in the door and was face-to-face with what I was to spend the rest of my evening with: a carpet cleaner.

Surprise! Spring Cleaning! Not at all what I had planned today, especially since this is now the 3rd spring cleaning I've given our apartment this year (I'm sort of a clean freak!), but the carpets are clean and our apartment smells great - totally successful day. 

OH and Liverpool beat Man City 3-0 today, another completely unexpected surprise! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment