Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

And My First Clerkship will be...

At 1:30pm, UTCOM released the availability to schedule for our first MS3 clerkship. A little breakdown of what to expect in the third year:
10 weeks of surgery
10 weeks of internal medicine
5 weeks psychiatry/5 weeks neuroscience
5 weeks OB-GYN/5 weeks pediatrics
5 weeks family medicine/4 weeks elective
That equals up to 49 weeks of work; we get 1 week off for Christmas, 1 week off between third and fourth year (in June 2012), and 1 week off whenever we choose to do our elective clerkship (if we choose to take 1 week off at that time). I say work, I really mean high-cost education, as we are neither paid nor taught voluntarily, but instead actually pay a whole lot of money to be able to be on the wards. This is different than in England, where Junior Doctors are paid (I would say that an English Junior Doctor is about equivalent to a US 3rd year medical student). Saying that, I know I am lucky to be given this amazing opportunity to fulfill my dreams, and I am privileged to be doing what I do!

So, what do I get to experience first in my third year? Drumroll please....
Surgery!!!!
I can't wait to start seeing patients! :) :) :)


...although, looking through my "week at a glance", I feel a little discouraged...
Goodbye Summer, Hello Surgery!

2 comments: