Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Starting the Last Unit of MS2

Today we start the last unit of our pre-clinical years. Only 1 more exam stands between me and the end of my second year of med school! Then its one big board to pass before I start seeing patients in July; I am so excited! :)

This last unit of Organ Systems covers the Reproductive System, Skin & Connective Tissues, and a few miscellaneous lectures on things like aging, formulating new drugs, and clinical labs.

Yesterday, I completed my second-to-last exam of the year, which covered the GI system and the Endocrine System. I feel very confident on how I performed in regards to pathology and even pharmacology, but I am a little nervous about the physiology portions. Some of the questions  were tricky. For the physiology questions, I always have to go through all of the answer choices and literally decide which ones are obviously not true, which ones are sort of true, and finally choose the answer which is the most true (so-called "most correct answer"). That is to say that there can be, and often are, more than one correct answer; the tricky part is knowing which one is the most correct. For example, one of the simpler questions asked: which is most associated with cancer of the gallbladder? obesity, gallstones, male gender, ulcerative colitis, or old age. Of those choices, only 1 is truly false - male gender. All of the rest actually are risk factors: obesity, gallstones, old age, and even Ulcerative colitis - it has even been weakly-linked with gallbladder cancer, so technically that may be correct also. But the "most correct" answer is Gallstones, as they are the highest risk factor for GallBladder cancer. The silly thing is gallstones are really common, and gallbladder cancer is quite rare; that is to say, most people with gallstones won't develop cancer. And another thing, only about 75% of patients that have gallbladder cancer ever had gallstones. So I'm not sure how strong of a link there really is between the two.  Anyway, that's just a little taste of what the 108 question, two-and-a-half hour exam was like.

3 weeks left until Step 1 prep takes over my life! And only 3 weeks left of my pre-clinical years, wooooooohooooooo!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment