Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Get Your Rear In Gear! My First 5K

This past Saturday, I completed my very first 5K race.

My sister and me:



The race was to benefit the colorectal cancer society where I live, so that we can increase education and patient access to appropriate colon cancer screening and preventative care. There were over 500 people who showed up to support the cause, along with several local news stations, and it felt so good to be surrounded by so many people who care so much about colon cancer.




Running In Honor of My Cousin, Greg:

The start was the best part - 300 of us, jam packed together at the starting line. The starting gun went off and we were moving shortly thereafter, having to filter our way past the slower participants that started in front of us. Even with the slow start as we made our way past other runners, my first mile was completed in 7:30 (which is fast for me!). Just as I crossed the 1 mile mark, my right knee started giving me problems - stabbing pain lateral to my patella - Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS), which comes from increasing mileage too quickly, slowed me down for the remainder of the race - but I still finished in 25:16. I didn't reach my goal of under 25, but my sister did (24:55)! Still, 25:16 isn't bad for a first timer! I finished 76th out of 300+ runners. Next race, I will be under 25!



After the run:

No comments:

Post a Comment