Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Family Medicine: Day 16, 17, 18

I feel like I need to get this post in while I'm still officially a Third Year Medical Student - even though I really should just be studying for my shelf!

The past week has been crazy! On Monday, the clinic had over 50 patients. It was crazy. And every patient seemed to need a little extra time, with things like Depression, Pap Smears, Newly Diagnosed Diabetes, Nutrition Advice, etc etc etc. Things were insane. I finally got out of the office by 6:30 after all of my notes were complete (I had no time during the day to finish any notes, so it took me an extra 90 minutes just to finish notes). Also, we had a few patients that we saw in the hospital for a knee replacement and cellulitis. Then on Tuesday, the afternoon slowed down after we left clinic early to deliver a baby. That's always fun!!! I can't believe that I may never get to do that again... The attending even asked if I wanted to repair the episiotomy; I am going to miss procedures so so so much. Finally on Wednesday, I saw a variety of patients in the morning and the attending even let me finish early so I could go home to study. Today, of course, is a big time study day, because tomorrow I take the "most failed" shelf of third year!

I have had a great experience on Family Medicine. I was lucky to work with and learn from such a great family doctor; I know the score I will get on my shelf will be due, in large part, to her education and guidance. I really loved this rotation, and I'm definitely going to miss the freedom I was given while away from my medical school's hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment