Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Family Medicine: Day 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Time to recap on all of the things that I've been doing on Family Medicine!

  • Yesterday, I delivered my first baby. The doctor I am working with allowed me a lot of freedom in the delivery, so I did most of it on my own (under her very close supervision). She did the episiotomy and repair, and I delivered the baby and placenta. It was amazing. Witnessing the miracle of life never ceases to amaze me. What beautiful moments!
  • I attempted to pull an object out of a child's ear (sadly felt like I had foreshadowed this occurrence by telling a previous patient that day about The Things We Find in Our Patients' Ears!).
  • I spoke with a patient - at lengths - about the basic principles of good nutrition. For example, I advised that instead of eating a double-bacon-half-pound-cheeseburger with large fries and a giant-sized Coke twice a week, try to make it more of a once-every-other-week treat. 
  • I made *almost* every kid I saw in the past week smile and laugh. (Yes, this is coming from the girl who has openly admitted her significant disinterest in pediatrics)
  • I am getting to be quite proficient in pap smears, and could probably now diagnose BV based on the whiff test alone...!
  • I continue to be surprised by how people will openly tell me the most personal details of their life without hesitation. Some questions which I routinely rattle off and patients honestly respond to:
    • Any new sexual contacts?
    • Any possibility of a new STD?
    • Number of sexual partners you have had?
    • What type of sexual protection do you routinely use?
    • Have you had any recent constipation or diarrhea?
    • Has urination been painful recently?
    • How many times do you get up in the middle of the night to urinate?
    • Are you breast-feeding your child?
    • Are your nipples sore or cracked?
Family Medicine is so much fun. I can really see the appeal of the lifestyle, the short residency, the close relationships with patients... I actually find it interesting to see a few kids interspersed between adult visits for hypertension, COPD, Diabetes, etc... if only there could be an Oncology Fellowship at the end of its residency, then it would look quite tempting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment