Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Family Medicine: Day 5, 6, 7, 8

Last week, I had a few interesting patients:

1. A multiparous woman at 41 weeks gestation required emergency Cesarean section due to non-reassuring fetal heart tones/fetal distress...we quickly went from calm and collected to running down the hallway to the OR. Baby came out with APGARs of 8 and 9 (healthy), so it was a happy ending to a stressful situation.

2. I watched about 20 pap smears in one day. That is one long day.

3. I saw a kid with a complaint of hurting her ankle and I was able to diagnose cellulitis (somewhat rare to find in kids, so when I suggested cellulitis as my diagnosis to the attending before she went in to talk with the patient, my attending thought I was crazy - but I was correct!).

4. I walked into a patient's room, anticipating a conversation regarding diabetes management, when I was bombarded with someone who was suffering from massive anxiety and depression (more on that story later!). 

I see some crazy thing each day. I'm constantly surprised by the number of "oh, by the way" symptoms that patients bring up just as we are leaving the room. And you honestly never know what to expect behind each patient's door!

No comments:

Post a Comment