Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

MSIII: Day 4

General orientation week is nearly over! We went over how to be a nice person for about 5 hours today. Fun stuff. Glad I found out that a person tends to get snappy when they're sleep deprived, I never would have figured that out on my own! ;)

We went thru some radiology films, which was fun. I'm remembering more than I thought I could, which is a bit of a relief. I was starting to think that everything I studied and committed to memory for Step 1 was wiped away in the 2.5 weeks of holiday I took before MS3!

I did my Basic Life Support certification tonight. An interesting medical story I learned from the preceptor:: When he and a colleague were setting up for a large group CPR training session, a young mother pulled out a gun and shot her 6 month old baby in front of everyone. The baby died soon thereafter. He said that that image has haunted him constantly throughout his life. He proceeded to say that we, as student-doctors and eventual doctors, will see everything...and the babies' and infants' and children's tragedies will stun you and stick with you forever. I am scared.to.death to confront such situations. I'm so soft, I'm afraid that I'll a.)cry hysterically and be completely worthless, b.) I'll have the images seered permanently in my memory, and c.) I'll be totally inconsolable for weeks. At least I know that I have an understanding and loving better-half that will always be there to help me through the worst of my days. I don't know how I would ever get through this without him by my side...!

No comments:

Post a Comment