Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

MSIII: Day 3

Finally we had a bit of hands-on time today! We went to the Nursing School's Simulation labs and learned how to give a gentle yet effective pelvic exam, how to keep a sterile environment whilst gowning for surgery, how to place an IV, and how to suture a laceration. Even though I am pretty sure that I'm not interested in surgery (poor lifestyle) or OB-GYN (sometimes its just downright nasty), I really enjoyed today's practice. I definitely feel confident that I can provide these procedures for my future patients, albeit with some professional guidance.

...I have the desire to stitch and sew tonight, after the suture session today! As mundane as it might sound, I look forward to my first real-life stitch. I know that my first rotation will be extremely time and labor-intensive, but I am just so excited to learn so many new things and to be a part of so many new experiences that surgery will undoubtedly showcase. It will be a huge workload, but I am so excited at this point that I don't even care if my whole life consists of medicine for the next 52 weeks! I think this feeling will subside, once I am forced to spend days without so much as a glimpse of my fiance, but for now I could not be more excited about my third year of medical school! Many doctors have said that the time in their lives when they have learned the most new and useful information was in their third year of medical school; that is enough to thoroughly excite any 3rd year student!!

Pearl of the Day: "Don't tell your patient to 'spread your legs'. I know we have a problem with this, but we need to think before we speak!...There is a real power in our choice of words." - 3rd Year OB-GYN Resident

No comments:

Post a Comment