Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

MS III: Day 1

After an all-too-short summer break, we're back into the groove of things. I had my first day as a Third Year Medical Student today! First thing this morning, we were greeted by the Dean of the College of Medicine, who graciously reminded us that even though we sometimes doubted we'd ever make it this far in our medical education, we have finally actually made it through the didactics and we're on to patient-care. He then admitted that he "hopes to see most" of us make it to graduation...uhm, I thought we could breathe a bit easier now, having the tempest of Step 1 done and over with!haha

That got me to reflecting upon how much I have grown in the past 2 years...I think the person that I was 3 years ago wouldn't even recognize the person that I am today, I have changed that much. I believe that I have become a better person, for the most part, but it is astounding just how much the pressures of med school can change someone. To be honest, I am a bit scared of how I will change in these next two years, as I frequently witness pain, suffering, and death, as well as healing and life. I am exceedingly overjoyed to finally reach this stage in my education, but I am scared to death of how much I have yet to learn before I will feel comfortable as a trustworthy and knowledgeable physician. I do find comfort knowing that all of us are in the same boat; As Third Years, we're all complete novices in the grand scheme of things. I am looking forward with much anticipation to the amount of knowledge and experience that I will gain throughout this year. And I will try my best to share interesting experiences with all of you as you watch my eventual transformation from an eager student into a real physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment