Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Grandpaw is 102!

Sorry that I have kind of abandoned my blog; Step 1 study season is in full swing, and I literally just don't have the time to jot down the monotonies of my day. A big reason why I wanted to start this blog was to 1.) keep my family and friends in touch with what I'm up to and 2.) to look back on my medical school career and be so damn happy that its over!haha I'm not sure I want to look back on this time of my life; I'll just be happy that it is over. I mean, 12-14 hours a day of revision is torture enough for any one.

Yesterday was my "Grandpaw" Ellerbrock's 102nd birthday; He has really been through it all - the first world war, the depression, the prohibition, the second world war, the british invasion (beatles!)... he's seen women and blacks gain the right to vote... he's seen the rise of the automobile, the tractor, the automatic milking machines... Talking to him about the past is so interesting; I love hearing all of his stories about growing up. Recently, he was highlighted in the Historical Society's newsletter, showcasing his life, and I was happy to learn a bit more. So I was looking online through some genealogy sites, and stumbled across someone's hard work that has researched our lineage back all the way to 1624, to Johannes Ellerbrock of Glandorf, Germany. (reference: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/e/l/l/Ralph-G-Ellerbrock/BOOK-0001/0004-0015.html ). I am absolutely fascinated by genealogy; finding out more about where I come from helps me to understand who I am, gives me a sense of belonging and dare I say importance...For someday, my great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter may take an interest in her lineage, and find my name and life story along the way. I wish I had more time to investigate my ancestors, but I am sure that there will be a time in the future when I can continue this passion (once my life is a little less hectic, say, when I retire??) ;)

My Sister, Andrea, My Mom, Dad, and Grandpaw
at Andrea's High School Graduation Party.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to my Grand-paw! I am so proud to be his grand-daughter, and I am so lucky to have the opportunity to get to know such an interesting man. (Fingers crossed his longevity genetics have passed on to me!) ;)

...on a side note, Mike and I plan to wed 2 years from yesterday. Fingers crossed that I can actually organize it all AND get through the last two years of medical school! ;)

Hope you all are doing well! I will try and stick to posting at least twice a week, hope you all check back then! :) :) :)

1 comment:

  1. awwww he is adorable!! I bet it was tough not being able to be there, don't I know all about missing family events. The guys are worth it though aren't they? Hope your studying is going good and maybe I'll see you before you leave! Since your only just down the road ;)

    ReplyDelete