Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

My fourth glorious day off

Again, another amazing day. So many hours in the hospital and away from home make you love the time you get to sleep in your bed and hang out in your house even more. Today, I've been on a long walk with Mike & Marley, did 4 loads of laundry, made lunch, did some paperwork, sorted out the budget, and now I'm off to go for a long run in the sun before I go out for dinner with my husband and friends before returning for the last 5 days of the nephrology service.

This week has been so much nicer than the previous ones. The attending rounds quite fast, and I actually have time to see and think about my patients (since I'm only carrying about 6-8 per day instead of 10-12). This means that I've had time to catch a few extra things - like a DVT in one of my patient's upper extremity, investigate a new tremor, investigate a new-onset seizure, and even had time to sit and talk with my patients. I'm not just making sure they don't die, but am actually trying to improve their overall health as well now. I'm managing things better each day, and I'm getting more and more efficient with seeing patients and writing notes and discharges.

Oh and also something pretty significant for today - it's my very FIRST EVER paycheck as a DOCTOR. It felt good when I was awakened by a text alert saying that money has been deposited into my checking account! I almost forgot that I'm getting paid to do this! Not getting paid much, mind you. I'm salaried, but if I worked an hourly wage, I would be earning about $7.54 per hour (assuming a wage increase of time-and-a-half after 40 hours worked in each week). Wait, what's minimum wage again? Oh nevermind, I don't wanna think about it...! I'm just happy as can be to actually have an income from doing something that I love!

So - my first purchase with my paycheck is going to be a new pair of running shoes!!! If only I could pull myself away from my home and get out to shop for them... ;)

5 days left on the nephrology service and I'll be officially finished with my first month of residency!

2 comments:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete