Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Weeks 2-3

After putting in a 68 hour week so far since Sunday, I'm sitting on my patio with a beer in hand reflecting on my life as it is now. I am quickly realizing that the next three years of my life are going to go by in a flash and I will miss out on a million things in my personal life. It's already July 18. I haven't seen my family in weeks. I haven't spent more than 5 minutes with my husband since my last day off, and my work doesn't end when I leave the hospital. I haven't found time to study, all I can do is manage patients and learn by doing. 

I've gotten into a routine for seeing a large number of patients in a short period of time and still giving good care. I start my notes the night before with my plan for the following day. I get into work, put in the vitals and labs for all of my patients, then quickly stop by each room to examine the patient and put my note in the chart. Today I saw 10 patients in 3 hours, and even managed to try my hand at an ABG, diagnose and manage an acute infection, and manage uncontrolled blood pressures during that time. Then I round with the attending for the day and answer loads of pages and phone calls while seeing the patients with the attending and putting in new orders and discharges. It gets a bit crazy and hectic and overwhelming when five people are asking you to do ten different things all at once, but I'm managing. My days are long, longer than I had thought they would be, but I keep a smile on my face the entire time im at work. I do love what I do.

In the past two days, I have seen a few narcotic seekers, and I've denied them meds. It's so much easier to just fill out a script and give the patient what they demand than it is to sit there and talk about why im concerned about prescribing a certain med, but I stand by my principles and look out for my patients'best interests and I've not given in to likely unnecessary narcotics yet.

I'm getting a little annoyed that some nurses treat me with little respect but turn around and flirt with my male colleagues. Not sure if its a jealousy thing or an insecurity or what, but I wish they would be as kind and respectful to me as I try to be to them. Suppose i need to prove myself to them?

My cointerns are amazing. I can't believe how smart they both are and how dedicated, compassionate, and knowledgeable they are. I'm lucky to be with them for my first rotation! 

Tomorrow is my day off! I am so happy I could cry (or I'm so exhausted I could just pass out). 

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete