Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

The Night Life

Well, the very day after I wrote my last post and mentioning that I had been aware and ready for patients to crash, a patient out-of-the-blue crashed on me. I frantically got a call from a nurse, telling me that this patient (who I hardly knew) just had a seizure. I didn't recollect her ever having a seizure in the past, so I immediately went to her room. As I was in the hallway, I heard "Code Blue" called over the intercom, and I immediate knew who this code blue was for - so I ran to the patient's room. I was (terrifyingly) the first physician there, and started running the code until my senior arrived. It was absolutely terrifying inside, but I handled it much better than I thought I would. I found myself calmly asking a few questions and calming ordering a few STAT medications and I saved her from asystole or an arrhythmia. I had never seen atropine given in this situation before, but it was miraculous. The patient went from crashing to improvement within seconds. It was truly amazing.

Aside from the long hours (minimum of 72 hours a week) and odd hours (it's hard to get anything in my life outside of the hospital done during my night shift work), I'm really enjoying night float. Seriously. I'm managing the sickest, most interesting patients in the hospital, and I fill in the gaps the day team leaves behind. I have time to study, which is great, and I am learning so much so quickly. I'm also now certified in arterial lines and internal jugular central lines (which means I can do them without supervision). I can't believe I've been able to do so many procedures in such a small amount of time, but I'm thankful for it. I think I'll be ready for my MICU rotation when that comes up later this year.

Today also happens to be the two-year anniversary of submitting the green card application. Which can only mean one thing - we get to start working on our renewal. Exciting times! (blah!). Only a few more years until the husband is a citizen and we can put all of this work (and money in fees) behind us.

Seven more nights on night float! We're nearly there!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment