Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Radiation Oncology: Day 16

Today was the day in the clinic where we check in with each of the patients who are currently undergoing radiation therapy. The main complaints are:

  • Dysphagia and Mucositis - difficulty swallowing, ulcers, and dry mouths with thick saliva (in head and neck cancers).
  • Shooting pains (in breast cancers - likely resulting from surgery and the impaired regeneration of nerve fibers).
  • Redness, blistering, and pain on the skin overlying the treatment field (axilla for breast cancers, intergluteal clefts for rectal/anal cancers).
For the palliative patients, we find that most find real relief from pain after about 5-10 treatments. The response to radiation is so quick; it is always interesting to watch large head and neck tumors start to shrink away during the course of their radiation treatment. 

I also saw a patient who had a skin-reaction to the chemotherapeutic drug, Erbitux (Cetuximab), which is a monoclonal antibody of epidermal growth factor receptors, used most often in the treatment of colorectal cancer as well as head and neck cancers. Cetuximab works by binding to the epidermal growth factor receptor  and turns off the uncontrolled growth in cancers with EGFR mutations. Seeing as I want to become a medical oncologist, it's kind of nice to get to learn a bit about medical oncology whilst on this radiation oncology rotation!

This is really an exciting field. I love these patients, I love the staff, and I love being able to help those who are suffering from cancer. (I know, I'm starting to sound like a broken record - what can I say? I'm living my dream!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment