Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

A taste of real life

For the Christmas holidays my residency program has a great tradition of allowing all of the residents to take 5 days off for holidays during either the Christmas or new year.while this is amazing to have time off , going back to work is no joke. We work at half staff to make up fr those on break , which is basically twice the work we already do on a daily basis. Today, tho was a common day when all residents work, twice the workers means half the work. I expected an easy day ahead of what will undoubtedly be a rough next 5 days. 14 hours later I realized I was so wrong! The next five days are bound to be considerably worse...

The break was amazing though. It was a glimpse into what real life looks like for most normal people. I had clean clothes and clean house and spent time with my husband and family. I even went shopping twice! I made the mistake of even saying that I actually felt ready to go back to work like I had missed it. Then in a twisted sense of fate, my first day back was unexpectedly long and difficult, as if life was trying to remind me that I can't actually enjoy my own life while helping others lives improve.

Back to the 14 hour days and never doing anything I enjoy outside of medicine. Cheers to intern year!

No comments:

Post a Comment