Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

One Night Back on Nights

Time has been just flying by, as always. Suddenly, its the end of October and I'm nearing the start of another rotation. Sadly, I am finishing my time on oncology. It has been an interesting month, and I've seen some very interesting cases and, being the only resident on a busy service, I have been busting my butt trying to do well and shine this month (since it is what I want to do with my life, after all). It's been really great, I'll share more in a later post, but I've had such a great month!!

Tonight I have one pick-up shift as night float. Since I had to find a colleague to cover me while I was away for a wedding, I'm paying him back by working for him tonight. It's not all bad; because of the duty hour restrictions (thank you once again ACGME), I can't work both days AND nights, so I had this morning off from work. And it has been truly unbelievable. The weather was uncharacteristically warm and sunny, with a nice little breeze. I got to spend some time with my husband (that doesn't happen often, let me telll you), and we even went on a *very tiny* 3 mile run together this morning. I needed a half day off, I really did. I'm feeling so much better about being a doctor - I was starting to burn out after only having 3 days off this month (all of which were spent busy at a wedding, which was great but I need one day to just catch up on life you know!). The downside for tonight - the other intern scheduled to work asked me to cover for him as well. So it's just me, watching over the entire hospital. Please, I know that most of my shift will be during Halloween, please please no one crash on me. A nice quiet night is all I am asking for! ;)

Now that I've officially jinxed myself, I best be on my way! Caffeine is a necessity tonight for this 18 hour shift!

No comments:

Post a Comment