Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Night Before Real Life Begins

Hello, loyal friends!

Tomorrow, I will begin my career as an MD. I am a first year resident in Internal Medicine, categorical. I will be spending the next three years of my life learning how to be self-reliant when caring for patients. I am beyond excited to play an active role in the health and well-being of my patients, but I am also quite nervous about all that is to come. I know I'm not alone when I say I feel like I don't know enough to be someone's doctor - but I'm told that what I know is expected of an intern and that I'll learn quickly along the way during the next three years.

Tomorrow begins at 6:30 for patient hand off, when I will be given my very own set of patients (between 4-10 patients each day) to care for during their stay in the hospital. I will be on the nephrology service for the first month - caring for primary and consult patients. I've heard nephro is really busy, which gives me some great opportunities to meet many different people and pathology.

I intend to keep a running journal of my growth, now as an MD, much like I had during my third year of medical school.

I am so excited to care for patients in a meaningful way and to learn so much more, but I am so nervous as well!

But, I guess, ready or not, patients of the world, HERE I COME!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I stumbled upon your blog accidentally at the beginning of my third yr of med school. I've now just begun my fourth yr, and have continued to read it ever since. Your attitude towards medicine is inspiring, and I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Hope you continue to post, even with the busy schedule of an intern :)

    ReplyDelete