Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Happy New Year

Happy new year!

Coming back to work after a short holiday break, I knew I'd be a little less enthusiastic about work than usual. We were working half-staffed, and unlucky for me, my co-intern's flight was delayed a few days. I was doing the work of three interns, and I was also unfortunate enough to have a long winded attending on service. That meant rounds took even longer than normal. After three 15 hour stressful and busy days, it was new years eve. All I could think about that late afternoon was how I could leave the hospital once my work was done, but knowing it wouldn't be any earlier than usual (and likely later than necessary thanks to my attending). I was a little bitter; after all, so many of my friends had the night off to enjoy with their friends while I was stuck working even harder than usual on a service I don't particularly care for. As I grumbled to myself about the new year and how it will undoubtedly repeatedly reflect the same scenario I was in that night, it suddenly dawned on me: some of the patients I was caring for in the hospital are seeing their last new years eve...and they are stuck in a noisy and uncomfortable hospital room to celebrate. I realized that this life I live now is only temporary, and things will get better. I won't be spending every new years eve in hospital. But for the time being, I am privileged to be a part of so many peoples new years eve as they regain their health. I'm the lucky one.

Hoping to keep this positive mentality through the year. I am so fortunate to be in a profession that gives so much satisfaction and allows me to have a real impact on other peoples lives.

Best wishes to all of you for a happy and healthy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment